A VIMRC is important for efficient text editing. It can be over one
hundred lines. It’s good to have the changes tracked. One entire
.git for one single text file will be too much. Since my
VIMRCs don’t have anything secret, I upload them to Gist like many
other users, and read others’ configuration files so as to learn from
Nonetheless, my workflow of uploading Gists on M$ Win* was not quite
efficient. Therefore, I re-read the installation instructions for
curl.cmd has already been set up during the
installation of Vundle.vim, I used Vundle to install Gist.vim.
Due to the problem mentioned in the previos post in this series, I opened GVim from Command Prompt instead of Git Bash.
I have already configure
github.user to my GitHub user name, but
Gist.vim still complained that no GitHub user name was found.
You have not configured a Github account. Read ":help gist-vim-setup".
I tried looking into the source code of the Vim plugin. I learnt from
Learn Vim Script the Hard Way the difference between
echom: the former isn’t persistent; the later can be retrieved by
message. It took me a few minutes to find out that Command Prompt,
the program set by
shell option, didn’t take my global
configurations into account. I viewed the list of my configurations
using the following command.
:!git config --list
I didn’t see
github.user in the list. I tried adding
and I got an error.
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c (git config --global --list) fatal: unable to read config file 'C:\Temp\PortableApps\gVimPortable\Data\settin gs/.gitconfig': No such file or directory shell returned 128 Hit any key to close this window...
I failed to comprehend the second line of the above output. I just
realised that this had something to do with GVim Portable. If I use
GVim instead, I won’t have such trouble since
located at the home folder.
I searched for a tutorial of using this plugin. Finally, from a
Japanese website which I forgot its URL, I found out that one can
manually set the variable
github_user in VIMRC.
After that, I restarted the editor and invoked the plugin, which then
asked for my GitHub password and created a token in